Each year, the NCTC Board of Directors presents the NCTC Awards to companies, schools and individuals that are active NCTC members and have exhibited leadership roles in their community, as well as artistic, professional or educational excellence.
NCTC Marian A. Smith Distinguished Career Award – presented to an individual who has led an exceptional career in the NC theatre community, serving as a leader and a master of their craft or work.
NCTC Herman Middleton Distinguished Service Award – presented to an individual who has demonstrated significant service to both NCTC and the NC theatre community.
NCTC K-12 Theatre Arts Educator Award – presented to a current or former theatre teacher in North Carolina schools, who has demonstrated excellence in the classroom, superior production achievement, and has served as a leader among peers.
The following awards are presented to theatre companies and schools that have demonstrated excellence in performance and in service of their mission:
NCTC College/University Award
NCTC Community Theatre Award
NCTC Constance Welsh Theatre for Youth Award
NCTC George A. Parides Professional Theatre Award
Only current NCTC members are eligible to receive NCTC Awards. Individuals may be considered for an award if they are an individual member or affiliated with an organizational member. In addition, to be considered for NCTC Awards, nominees must be active NCTC members, participating in annual events and serving as an advocate for NCTC to their constituents.
Check the "Meet our Members" pages to see if your organization is eligible!
NCTC members may nominate themselves, their own theatre/school, another outstanding organization, or an industry peer. We encourage students at NCTC member schools (K-12 and College) to nominate their teachers or theatre program.
Nominations must be received by November 11, 2016. Please send all nominations via email to NCTC General Manager Amanda Clark (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Your email should include:
- Your name and phone number.
- The name of the person/organization you are nominating and complete contact information for the nominee, including primary contact’s email address, phone number and website (if applicable).
- Your nomination, in the form of a Word Document, PDF or a link to a YouTube video. Written nominations should be no more than 2 pages. Video nominations should not exceed 5 minutes. In your nomination, please address the following items:
- Describe the accomplishments of the nominee and why they would be considered eligible to receive an NCTC Award.
- Why should the NCTC Board consider this nominee in this particular year? Is there anything that makes 2016 or 2017 special?
- Describe the nominee’s involvement in NCTC and how they have served as an advocate for NCTC to their constituents.
The NCTC Board of Directors will review all nominations and make award selections. Winners will be announced in December. Board and staff members will work with honorees to plan award presentations at functions of their choice, in their community. When possible, nominators and other NCTC members will be invited to attend award presentations.