Raleigh Little Theatre seeks a Technical Director for the summer education program, Teens Backstage (TBS).
TBS is the technical theatre training component of RLT’s summer conservatory for teens aged 14-18 that operates in conjunction with the performance component, Teens on Stage (TOS). TBS participants take classes in all aspects of technical theatre and work under the mentorship of designers and the Technical Director to construct the technical elements of the production.
The 2018 TOS/TBS production is Into the Woods by Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine.
The Technical Director’s primary duties include:
- Teaching and training 5-8 teens aged 14-18 in the on-site scene shop, following safe set construction and rigging practices.
- Implementing one fully realized production design in coordination with the Teens On Stage
- Generating shop drawings and teaching teen participants how to understand and work from shop drawings.
- Assist the Scenic Designer in teaching teens painting techniques
- Guide and mentor teens in creating and procuring props
- Supervise lighting hang along with assisting the Lighting Designer
A strong candidate for this position will have experience teaching technical theatre, drafting shop drawings, strong construction skills, experience rigging from fixed grid, and the ability to stay on budget and schedule.
Scenic painting and lighting experience a plus. Must pass background check.
Dates: June 12 – July 23, 2018 (students start Wednesday, June 18)
Tuesday – Saturday 9am-5pm (plus Monday July 16, 9am-5pp for technical rehearsals)
Compensation: $450 per week
Interested applicants should visit the RLT Education website to become more familiar with the Teens Backstage program and RLT’s organizational mission. Submit a one-page cover letter and resume containing technical theatre and teaching experience to RLT’s Director of Education, Meredyth Pederson Cooper at: firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: Technical Director Application) or via mail at Raleigh Little Theatre, 301 Pogue Street, Raleigh, NC 27607, attn: Meredyth Pederson Cooper.
Applications close March 31, 2018.