The Technical Director oversees the technical operations of all Parkway Playhouse performances and provides logistical oversight and day-to-day administration to all areas of the production process. The Technical Director operates, maintains and safeguards the technical aspects of the theatre and works to support the mission, vision, and goals of
Parkway Playhouse. This is a seasonal, temporary position.
· Oversees and works with Scenic Shop Supervisor in set design, construction, and coordinating necessary maintenance
· Designs, sets-up, maintains operates and supervises the lighting system, sound system, communications and projection equipment, rigging and stage facilities for all theatre productions and projects
· In collaboration with the Operations Manager develops, maintains, and publishes (online) a season schedule for all Mainstage and educational programming as well as associated production deadlines.
· Determines load-in and technical schedules for Mainstage, educational, and special events.
· Provides coordination and support for facility usage by outside groups and for scheduled special events.
· In collaboration with Operations Manager and Box Office Staff, supervises and ensures completion of basic maintenance tasks; including areas backstage, in the auditorium, sound and lighting systems and equipment, dressing rooms, and any other areas of the theatre that are observed or reported to require attention.
· Assigns, trains, and oversees and supervises apprentices and interns in the technical/production aspects of the theatre events, including training and supervising production staff, contractors, and any additional personnel required for specific production needs
· Includes managing and correcting any and all disciplinary/performance issues associated with interns assigned to work on technical/production aspects of the theatre
· Provides safety orientation to all staff, actors, interns, apprentices, students, volunteers
· Ensures that all production staff, artists, volunteers understand and conform to PPH policies
· In collaboration with the Education Coordinator, evaluates apprentices and interns at end of season
· Assists Guest Directors with technical/production matters
· Monitors condition of the equipment including lighting, sound, projects, and rigging. Arranges for the repair and replacement within budgetary constraints.
· Maintains inventory and orders specialized supplies
· Attends production meetings and rehearsals, and technical rehearsals, performances in order to supervise and assist in the technical and production aspects of a performance
· Must be able to perform each essential duty listed above satisfactorily
· Bachelor’s degree
· Previous experience as Technical Director and/or Production Manager, either employed or contractual
· Experienced using computerized lighting and sound systems
· Experienced managing projects, planning, developing, scheduling and providing the technical support required for performances
· Experienced overseeing apprentices, interns, volunteers
· Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Standing, walking, bending, frequent use of hands, stooping and lifting (at least 50 pounds) is needed.
Due to the educational focus of Parkway Playhouse and interaction with interns, apprentices, and Parkway Playhouse Junior participants, the Technical Director will be required to successfully pass a background check. Technical Director reports directly to the Executive Director.
Start Date: May 2018
End Date: September 2018
40 hours per week.
Rate of pay based on experience.
ABOUT PARKWAY PLAYHOUSE:
Parkway Playhouse is located in the town of Burnsville, North Carolina. Our mission is to inspire, educate, and entertain everyone in the community by providing quality sustainable theater opportunities.
We offer theatre classes for youth, readers theatre, main stage productions, summer camps and touring productions.
We’re a haven of theatre talent and an avenue for young minds to experience and grow with the arts in a rural community.
While people come to the mountains to escape, Parkway Playhouse is a natural gathering place to connect.
We are an extension of traditional mountain talents: singing, dancing, storytelling and connecting people to what makes them smile, laugh, and occasionally cry. By giving rise to energetic new voices and through a wide variety of plays and musicals, we invite our audience into experiences that are thought-provoking, adventurous, and entertaining.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a resume and three letters of reference (one must be from an instructor in your theater department if you are a student) to Jeff Bachar, Executive Director: email@example.com