Parkway Playhouse, a growing nonprofit theatre company, is seeking a highly motivated Development Director. The position will begin as a part-time time position (15-20 hours/week, with some evening weekend hours, with no insurance benefits), with the potential to grow with organization. Growth will be based on an annual review of clearly defined benchmarks for success.
The Development Director is responsible implementing and guiding fundraising strategy and initiatives for Parkway Playhouse. This staff member reports directly to the Artistic Director and will coordinate closely with our active and engaged Board of Directors. The Development Director will serve as the primary staff coordinator of the Board’s Fundraising Committee This position offers an opportunity to build on a solid fundraising foundation and to affect materially the ability of an historic performing arts organization to reach new levels of engagement and create meaningful and transformative experiences for volunteers, artists, and students in Western NC.
1. Plan, organize, direct, and expand the current fundraising program to increase the overall revenue for
2. Lead a systematic and strategic program of fundraising, including implementing an ambitious annual fund,
writing grants, and organizing special events.
3. Work closely with the Staff and Board Leadership to develop and oversee a major gifts program, which
involves identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding current and prospective corporate, community,
foundation, and individual donors.
4. Manage donor database, thank you notes, and recognition.
5. Oversee all aspects of two to three annual direct mail appeals, press releases, social media outreach, and
preparing written materials, as needed.
6. Present public programs (e.g. Curtain Speeches, tours of theatre, visiting with community groups) as
7. Actively participate in a strong team that ensures the smooth operation of Parkway Playhouse and is a
supportive, inclusive environment for the creative experiences/work of patrons, volunteers, artists, and staff.
1. Bachelor of Arts (required), Master of Arts (a plus)
2. 35 years’ experience in fundraising
3. Familiarity with and strong connections to the community
4. Outstanding organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
5. Knowledge of development strategies for fundraising and for cultivating and soliciting annual and major gifts.
6. Ability to see and make connections between ongoing projects and potential donors
7. Experience in creating, planning, and implementing major events
8. Ability to communicate passion for our mission
9. Professional personal appearance and excellent public speaking ability
Please send résumé, cover letter, and at least 3 references to:
Andrew Gall, Artistic Director
PO Box 1432
Burnsville NC, 28714
Materials may be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This position will remain open until filled. Please do not call the theatre.
Parkway Playhouse is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.